Thursday, November 8, 2018

Trayi's Birthday 2018

She turns 13 today, the light of our lives. Anything I write about her, she will likely read and say ‘Mom, you’re biased’. Yes, I probably am, and proud too. Of the adolescent she now is, of the adult she is on the road to becoming. 
Sensitive, perhaps too much. Perceptive, perhaps too much. All of which seeps into her writing. Self aware, too. Like even adults rarely are. Kind and Righteous, as she should be. Studious, just enough according to me, not enough according to her dad. Loving..Enough still..

When your wards are young, you are worried for them to grow up with the right values. Are they learning the lessons you are trying to impart, you wonder. But we are imperfect beings, ourselves. And sometimes, along with life’s learnings, and our strengths, we pass on our failings, too. It is therefore, gratifying, when you see your adolescent respond to life’s turbulence, with a resilience, an equanimity, you only wish you had. I see her disarm her critics with tongue in cheek humour, and I am amused, but more importantly, I am amazed. Amazed because it is a skill I’ve never had, and one I still struggle to acquire. Often now, I see her as a confidante, a helper, a friend. Somebody I nurture and cherish, but also somebody who I look forward to talking to, to watching a movie with, to cracking silly jokes with, and although I don’t tell her this, to imbibing from. She has raised the bar for me for the person I need to be, the mother I need to be, so she can be as proud of me, as biased about me, as I am about her. Happiest Birthday to my teenager!

No comments: