Thursday, March 28, 2019

Redwoods, Banyans and Bougainvillas

‘How do you do this ?’ A friend asked. ‘I need roots’. And I thought about that : Roots can be like those of the Giant Redwood - that go deep - built painstakingly, over generations. Roots that help you grow very tall, but maybe need just the right mix of ingredients to thrive. Inspiring awe for sure, but in some ways fragile too. Roots can also be like that of the Banyan - Many roots - each laid down at a different time- spread wide across - each looking small and inconsequential, but together providing sustenance. helping the Banyan thrive. The Bougainvilla has roots too. Shallow, to critical eyes, but put a branch anywhere, in any climate, in any soil, and it will still burst aforth with millions of flowers. Sometimes it will be atop a tree, or have climbed along a fence, taking the help of whatever it can find. Its resilience - we take for granted, abd brand it’s ability to thrive - as oh so common. But it is a rare bougainvillea that hasn’t thrived and a rarer one that you can ignore. No matter how many other plants it is surrounded by. 
The nomadic way of being I have come to appreciate, is not without roots. We learn, like the Banyan to build many roots. My heart gladdens when somebody mentions Bangkok, and if I Hear Thai anywhere, I want to turn around and say ‘Sawsde Kha, Chan Phut pasa Thai nit noi’ I feel pride when somebody from Bangalore shines in the spotlight, and each time I board a plane leaving it, a pang escapes me. I feel thrilled when I meet a Gujarati and can speak in a language I hold dear. And to Mumbaikars I show off that I know both Andheri (E) and Napean Sea Road. I preen when Pune is ranked as a great city to live, and mourn that Bangalore is not. I am passionate about US politics in the same way that I am passionate about Indian elections. I love Delhi for its large hearted people, US for its to push itself to be better, more inclusive every year, Mumbai for its efficiency, and Pune for its fabulous weather. From Thais I have learnt the importance of ‘sanuk’ and that losing our temper is a reflection on us. From Puneris, I have learnt to value simplicity, My college in Bangalore taught me how be be truly ‘cool’ and my maid in Mumbai has taught me work ethic. I haved trekked when in Pune and lounged on the beach in Hua Hin when in Thailand and camped in the national parks when In the US. I am discerning about the best Misal in Pune and the best Somtam in Bangkok, the best sandwhich Mumbai abd tge best Parathas in Purani Dili. I can be your guide in in Chinatown in Bangkok. on Commercial Street in Babgalore or in Crawford in Mumbai, with equal ease. I have memories of laughing till my tummy hurts with my friends in Bangalore and drinking on weekend with friends in Mumbai. Of my daughter’s first steps in Gurgaon and her first day of school in Bangkok. Of burying my mom in Pune , and dancing late into the night in Ahmedabad. Of house parties in Bsngkok and girlfriend breakfasts in Pune.  
We Nomads - we are a curious lot - we sprout many roots like the Banyan, but can flower anywhere like the bougainvillea. We are a little bit of every place we have put roots in, and yet know no place is completely us. We are both attached - hooked to our relationships, our memories - and detached - knowing and flowing with the impermanence of it all. We have taken the best from every place we have lived in, abd learnt to ignore the imperctions of each of them. 
I have been often asked ‘Which Is the favorite amongst the places you have ever lived in’. Does a bougainvillea ever choose its favorite home ? My answer always is ‘Every single one’.

No comments: