Wednesday, July 17, 2013

RO-3 : We scare beause we stare

In Bangkok, one got used to being invisible. Not literally, ofcourse. I mean, I could have run down stark naked on the streets of Bangkok, and I would not have received a second glance. (Ok, maybe just a second look in that extreme scenario). But you get the point. That feeling of invisibility is a wonderful one. One I miss every day as I walk down the streets here in India.

Not that I am exceptionally attractive. Indian men (A generalization I use freely here, but obviously I mean most or many, not all) are not discerning and would mete out the 'You are not invisible' treatment to anybody. Or anything. If they knew she was female.

Over the last several weeks, one has noted the techniques employed. There are several. But I have decoded and categorized the frequently employed ones here

a. The 'single point stare' - also known as ' Chest is best' or 'I thought your body begins -and ends- at your chest' stare. The least subtle and the most frequent-employed by all and sundry, everywhere. 

b. The '180 degree head rotation stare' -also known as ' I am trying very hard to see your behind, even though I am now in front' stare. Also not subtle, but happens when you are in walking and culprit is in a vehicle. It takes some driving skill to execute. So less frequent.

c. The 'You smiled at me, so you must like me' stare -also known as 'I am a whacko-weirdo' stare. This is probably the scariest, though not as frequent.  The one that NRIs and visitors to India should be most wary of though. An unconscious or polite smile can be mis-interpreted, especially, by the less educated, but frequently employed for odd jobs - worker. The staring is continuous, and can last, if you happen to be stuck in the vicinity for a while. Happened to me once. Not fun.

d. The 'Vertical line gaze' - also known as the '2 second head to toe checking out' -stare. Can be subtle, if employed correctly, but often, done without. Of reasonable frequency, but relatively benign.

e. The 'I am an idiot,I got caught' stare or 'I am pretending not to stare' stare. Relatively frequent, but not threatening, as the starer is usually aware that staring is undignified, but is forced by habit.

Oh, what I would do to have Harry Potter's invisibility cloak. For me, but also for my daughter. And for all women and girls in India.





No comments: